- Prof.dr. Mariken Teeuwen
- Senior researcher
- Department of History of Science and Scholarship
- Specialisation: intellectual culture and the practice of learning
Mariken Teeuwen studied Musicology and Medieval Studies at Utrecht University. In 2000, she was awarded a PhD for her thesis on the reception of the music theory of Antiquity in the early Middle Ages. She has been working at Huygens ING since October 1998, initially on a publication about the Latin vocabulary of intellectual life in the Middle Ages under the guidance of Dr. O. Weijers. In 2003 she received a VENI grant from the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) to perform a postdoctoral study on the reception of Martianus Capella’s De nuptiis Philologiae et Mercurii and the ancient learning on the seven Liberal Arts in the Carolingian period (Carolingian scholarship). In 2010 she received a VIDI grant from NWO for a project on the practice of annotating manuscripts in the Early Middle Ages, titled ‘Marginal Scholarship. The Practice of Learning in the Early Middle Ages (c. 800- c. 1000)’. This project ran from May 2011 to May 2016. Her research team involved a postdoctoral researcher (Dr. Irene van Renswoude) and a PhD student (Dr. Evina Steinova). In 2015, she succesfully applied, in collaboration with Irene van Renswoude, for a NWO-Free Competititon project titled ‘The Art of Reasoning: Techniques of Scientific Argumentation in the Medieval Latin West (c. 400- c. 1400)’. This project runs from June 2016- June 2020. In addition to Mariken and Irene van Renswoude, Irene O’Daly was added to the research team as a postdoctoral researcher.
Mariken is involved in the Medieval Studies programme of the University of Utrecht since 2003, where she teaches about medieval manuscripts, medieval Latin and the intellectual culture of the Middle Ages. On 1 September 2011 she was appointed endowed chair professor for the transmission of Medieval Latin Texts at Utrecht University.
- Bijzonder Hoogleraar Transmissie van Middelseeuws Latijnse Teksten bij Universiteit Utrecht
- Technisch voorzitter NWO-Veni beoordelingscommissie Geesteswetenschappen
- Mariken Teeuwen, ‘Carolingian Scholarship on Classical Authors: Practices of Reading and Writing’, in E. Kwakkel, ed., Manuscripts of the Latin Classics 800-1200, Leiden: Leiden University Press, 2015, 23-50.
- Mariken Teeuwen & Sinead O’Sullivan, eds., Carolingian Scholarship and Martianus Capella. Ninth-Century Commentary Traditions on ‘De nuptiis’ in Context. CELAMA 12, Turnhout: Brepols, 2011.
- Mariken Teeuwen, The Vocabulary of Intellectual Life in the Middle Ages. CIVICIMA 10, Turnhout: Brepols, 2003.
- Mariken Teeuwen, Harmony and the Music of the Spheres. The ars musica in Ninth-Century Commentaries on Martianus Capella. Mittellateinische Studien und Texte 30, Leiden, Boston, Köln: Brill, 2002.