- dr. Jan Bloemendal
- Senior researcher
- Department of History of Science and Scholarship
- Specialisation: Latin literature of the early modern period; Erasmus; theatre; poetry; reception
- + (0)20-2246802
Jan Bloemendal studied Classics and Dutch Language and Literature at the University of Utrecht and worked for some years as a teacher at a secondary school. In 1997 he obtained his PhD with an annotated edition of Daniel Heinsius’s Auriacus, sive Libertas saucia (in English: William of Orange, or the Wounding of Liberty), 1602. Between 2000 and 2005 he was responsible for the publication of Vossius’ Poeticae institutiones at Huygens ING. From May 2004 onward, he worked at the Classics department of the University of Amsterdam as a manager of the project entitled ‘Latin and Vernacular Cultures. Theatre and Public Opinion in the Netherlands ca. 1510-1625’, which was funded by the Dutch Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) as a VIDI project. From 2006 till 2012 he was Professor by special appointment of Neo-Latin Studies at the University of Amsterdam. In 2009 he received a grant from NWO for the project ‘Dynamics of Neo-Latin and the Vernacular’, which is partially being implemented at Huygens ING. He is secretary of the edition of the Erasmi Opera Omnia. From 2017 he is Privatdozent at the RUB.
Research and other Projects
- Gerardus Johannes Vossius, Poeticarum institutionum libri tres / Three Books on Poetics (in collaboration with Edwin Rabbie). Leiden (2010). Mittellateinische Studien und Texte, 41/1 and 2
- (with Arjan C. van Dixhoorn and Elsa Strietman, eds.), Literary Cultures and Public Opinion in the Low Countries, 1400-1650. Leiden (2011) Brill’s Studies in Intellectual History, 197.
- (with Howard Norland, eds.), Neo-Latin Drama and Theatre in Early Modern Europe Leiden (2013) Drama and Theatre in Early Modern Europe 3.
- (with Philip Ford and Charles Fantazzi, eds.), Brill’s Encyclopaedia of the Neo-Latin World, Leiden (2014) Renaissance Society of America Texs and Studies Series, 3.
- Heinsius, Auriacus
- Macropedius, Aluta
- Muret, Julius Caesar
- Schrijvers, drukkers en dedicaties
- Scaliger, Poemata
- Love emblems and a web of intertextuality
- [In preparation] Daniel Heinsius, De tragoediae constitutione
- [In preparation](with H. Nellen) Hugo Grotius, Adamus exul.
- [In preparation] Johannes Antonides van der Goes, Ystroom.
- [In preparation] Johan van Heemskerck, Dagboek.